b) a small, showy ornamentation

Wikipedia foundation.


Look at other dictionaries:

  • Furbelow — Fur be*low, v. t. [imp. & p. p. {Furbelowed}; p. pr. & vb. n. {Furbelowing}.] To put a furbelow on; to ornament. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • furbelow — [fʉr′bə lō΄] n. [altered (by assoc. with FUR2) < Prov farbello, a fringe, flounce, var. of Fr falbala, furbelow] 1. a flounce or ruffle 2. a showy, useless decoration or elaboration usually used in pl. vt. to decorate with or as with furbelows …   English World dictionary

  • Furbelow — Fur be*low, n. [Prov. F. farbala, equiv. to F. falbala, It. falbal[ a].] A plaited or gathered flounce on a woman s garment. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • furbelow — (n.) c.1700, alteration of falbala, from Fr. falbala (17c., cognate with Prov. farbello), from It. falda fold, flap, pleat, from PIE *pel to fold. As a verb from 1701 …   Etymology dictionary

  • furbelow — ► NOUN 1) a flounce on a skirt or petticoat. 2) (furbelows) showy trimmings. ORIGIN French falbala trimming, flounce …   English terms dictionary

  • furbelow — noun Etymology: by folk etymology from French dialect farbella Date: 1702 1. a pleated or gathered piece of material; especially a flounce on women s clothing 2. something that suggests a furbelow especially in being showy or superfluous •… …   New Collegiate Dictionary

  • furbelow — n. & v. n. 1 a gathered strip or pleated border of a skirt or petticoat. 2 (in pl.) derog. showy ornaments. v.tr. adorn with a furbelow or furbelows. Etymology: 18th c. var. of falbala flounce, trimming …   Useful english dictionary

  • furbelow — /ferr beuh loh /, n. 1. a ruffle or flounce, as on a woman s skirt or petticoat. 2. any bit of showy trimming or finery. v.t. 3. to ornament with or as if with furbelows. [1670 80; var. of FALBALA] * * * …   Universalium

  • furbelow — Synonyms and related words: beading, binding, bordering, bordure, edging, fimbria, fimbriation, flounce, frill, frilling, fringe, galloon, hem, list, motif, ruffle, selvage, skirting, trimming, valance, welt …   Moby Thesaurus

  • furbelow — fur·be·low || fÉœrbɪləʊ / fɜːb n. gaudy decoration; decorative fold (on a dress) v. decorate gaudily; create decorative folds (on a dress) …   English contemporary dictionary

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.