To remove ruffles from; to make smooth.

Wikipedia foundation.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Unruffle — Un*ruf fle, v. i. [1st pref. un + ruffle.] To cease from being ruffled or agitated. Dryden. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • unruffle — /un ruf euhl/, v., unruffled, unruffling. v.t. 1. to calm (someone). 2. to smooth out (something). v.i. 3. to become calm or smoothed out. [1690 1700; UN 2 + RUFFLE] * * * …   Universalium

  • unruffle — un·ruffle …   English syllables

  • unruffle — “+ verb Etymology: un (II) + ruffle intransitive verb : to become calm : quiet down transitive verb : calm …   Useful english dictionary

  • tranquilize — [v] make calm, quiet balm, calm, calm down, compose, hush, lull, pacify, put at rest, quell, quiet, quieten, relax, sedate, settle one’s nerves*, soothe, still, subdue, unruffle; concepts 7,22,310 Ant. aggravate, agitate, incite, stir up, upset …   New thesaurus

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.